Sunday, February 3, 2008

GUESS WHAT???


First of all, this post is being written a few weeks before the world knows that we are pregnant! So let me tell you how it went down. Katy and I have been trying to have a baby going on a little over two years. We didn't have a decent insurance plan to cover any kind of infertility until I started working for the state. Once that started happening, Katy was able to go on Clomid (spell?) two months ago to jump start her ovulation. Well, this past month she had to get a more potent dose of it because she still didn't ovulate in December. And then, last night I came home and she was standing in the door of the garage with two sticks in her hand. She said, "I know you had a tough day but it's about to get better." And she showed me the pregnancy sticks. For those who don't know, there are different types of pregnancy tests. These just happened to show 2 lines if pregnant, one if not. Well, initially I started crying and saying, "This better not be a joke. Don't joke around with me," hugging as the tears fell. After close inspection of the sticks, one line was faint, the other quite pronounced. Now let me back track a little bit. When we first started trying we used ovulation sticks exactly like these, the two lines positive, one line negative. Well, they would always show up with a faint second line that led us to believe that she was ovulating when in fact she was not. So my immediate reaction was she might not be pregnant. Obviously to spare myself from the pain of another month of not being pregnant. We both decided that she should call the doctor in the morning and go get a blood test. Now for the grand finale. I was in the middle of my shift tonight when I got a text from Katy that said, "it's not an emergency, but call when you get a chance." I quickly seized the opportunity while we had a break at the office and called her, expecting again, always the real pessimist, for her to tell me negative news. Barely containing herself, Katy quickly told me, "I'm pregnant!" I had to ask her to repeat herself, "You are or you are not pregnant?!?!" To which she replied, "I am!" Tears quickly fell again, fortunately with all my new colleagues of my masculine based employment out of sight and I was beyond elated. She apparently had taken a digital pregnancy test that said in big bold letters: "PREGNANT" and upon calling the doctor for confirmation, he said there's no need for a blood test that the tests are pretty accurate. God answered our prayers in a way that we hoped and we give Him all glory and honor and praise. We are so unworthy, and yet He still chooses to bless us. Sadly, our faith is still lacking and we keep bracing ourselves for the news of "you're not really pregnant, it was a false alarm," or to wake up from this dream state of euphoria. What a blessing either way to feel so close to your Maker's hands. Thank you all for your prayers in this process and we'll try and keep you as updated as we can.

Love,
Rob and Katy

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Sooo Rob, are you trying to make your readers tear up when you describe your weepy reactions? Well, it worked. We are sooo excited for you beyond words! We love and miss you guys way too much!
Love, the Winans

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and praise the Lord! What exciting news. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Alison (Korock) Davis said...

I am so happy for you guys! God is so good! I can't wait to meet Baby Grindy... and someday add some "cousins" myself! Love you guys!