Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Tale of the 'Stache

I'm thinking this should be posted on my personal blog, but it involves both Katy and I, not just work. So here it is.The Tale of the 'Stache. I had to go back to work last Tuesday for the first time in 5 weeks. For the past 2 1/2 I've been growing a killer beard. I mean the real deal.


No neck shaving, no high cheek shaving, no trims, just straight growth, the kind you'd find on say, Vlade Divac, or my brother, for my wedding, against my wife's wishes, but I digress. On to the topic of mustachios. I grow a fairly weak mustache. I'll admit. However, as a highway patrolman, it's sort of a higher calling to be able to have a sweet 'stache. So while I can't grow one worthy of admiration, I can still grow one, and I felt like because of the time my 'stache spent under the guise of a beard, I could showcase it. So here it is, in full effect. And yes I do realize it could be called a mild adult film 'stache.

One thing I regret is not taking a pic with my Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses and smokey bear hat on as well, but hey, I was driving at the time and had my iPhone on my steering wheel. Not really...or did I? I'll leave you to guess.

Of course I had to have Katy take a few with Nick in them.

Rubbing his face with it, and no he didn't cry, scream, or scald.

Well little did I know how much Katy would hate it, so much so that every response to any comment, question, or answer I gave related to her hatred of the 'stache. Let me give you a sample conversation we had on a walk while I bore the 'stache:

K: I really wish you'd shave that junk off your lip.
R: (Me avoiding the request) It sure is a nice day.
K: It'd be an even nicer day without that mustache.
R: I'm not so sure it would, but hey, can you pull the shade over Nick's stroller, he's being blinded.
K: Don't talk about our son with those lips bearing that thing.
R: I can talk to our son with anything on my face. Plus I think he likes it.
K: Yeah, just like he likes sitting in his own pee, going hungry, not being swaddled, and other things.
R: Well what do you want for lunch?
K: You to not have that on your face.
R: Seriously, can I make us some sandwiches?
K: Only if they're made by someone without a mustache.

And on, and on, and on. You'd think it would deter me and cause me to shave it. Not so my friends, not so. I'm quite stubborn as anyone who's known me more than five minutes would attest. She even pulled the whole, "If you love me..." bit. Didn't work. And yet, here I am, 5 days later at the Habit on a lunch break with the fam:

What broke me you ask? We'll just say this. Nick was born 6 weeks ago tomorrow. Katy's body heals after 6 weeks. We're able to do things after 6 weeks. The threat was if you don't tonight (last Saturday night) we won't on Wednesday. You figure it out if it isn't too obvious already.

2 comments:

Wisners said...

It's a little awkward that I'm reading this on Wednesday night, hopefully I'm not interupting anything.
You'll have to post the Mr. T photo sometime ... I liked that look better.

Sara said...

Rob,

I LOVED this post. Laughed like crazy. In fact, I called Ben, woke him up and then READ IT TO HIM OVER THE PHONE...it was THAT entertaining...

Way to go, Katy! I salute your highly attuned ability to persuade. ;)