Monday, September 15, 2008

Stinkin' Heroes

Heroes. Defined by the California Highway Patrol slang dictionary as firefighters. AKA glory seekers. Don't get me wrong, my brother wants to be one and I fully support and am proud of his decision, I have a buddy, Adam Bradley, who is one, and a lifelong family friend, Frank Evans, who has been one for a long time. It's not to say I have a problem with all firefighters, or most for that matter. However my love of some doesn't negate the fact that firefighters in general are still and will be forever, considered by the public to be heroes. Even when they show up and block all lanes of the freeway to treat any fender bender occupants as if they need the jaws of life. With that being said, Katy and I, as well as all of our family members, quickly discovered that this stereotype of firefighters greatly extended into the realm of kids' clothes. It is extremely difficult, if not darn near impossible, to find any kids' clothes with cops on them. Not many people like cops. Not many people appreciate getting tickets, being arrested, or having an accident report with them being found at fault and adversely affecting their insurance rates. Can't really blame them too much. Hopefully some Christians have an eternal perspective about our job. Anyway, I digress. When Nick was born at 7 lbs and not the 10 we expected, our wardrobe was determined to be greatly depleted. So my mom was gracious enough to go out and buy a boatload of clothes at the Ross in Lompoc. Well, some of those outfits had fireman stuff on them, much to my chagrin. Evidenced here by Nick finally wearing some today.

As you can tell, he was none too happy about it either, just like his dad. Fortunately my wife understands me and sympathizes with my feelings towards firefighters in general, and thus only dressed him in it today because the rest of the umbilical cord is coming off and bleeding a little, so the firefighter red covers the blood on the inside of the shirt well. Thanks babe! Oh, and Nick feels me to. No sooner than an hour after donning his fireman shirt, did he pee all over it, the back mind you, because Crawl the warrior king was tucked down and he had so much urine it shot up the back. Thanks buddy! I knew you were my son!

No comments: